Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Joy (Hakim) brings "joy" to history students everywhere...

 Let's just say it was a treat to read the content of Joy Hakim's A History of US while learning lots of things along the way. I was intrigued by the book to say the least. To think this is a text that can be utilized to teach the history of our country, gave me hope that the boredom of teens and preteens alike could be spared. In my opinion the book is more of a narrative and reads like fiction more than non-fiction. I loved all the information added to each page, the anecdotes, vivid descriptions, character analyses, poems, quotes, maps, pictures, and my list could go on. I found myself reading about people I only heard of by name but could never quite make a connection with. This book describes these integral characters with such intensity ,that without sounding cliche, they really come to life. They seem more real: more believable! More human? This book would definitely appeal to both left and right brain learners because it has a little something for everyone. It gives the impression that it is a textbook, yet it still remains entertaining somehow. The book is straight-forward enough for the left-brained learners, but creative enough to pique the interest of the right-brained learners, as well.  I really appreciated the definitions sprinkled throughout the reading because non-historical terms were even used. It helps to understand the lingo of the time period and just how far we have come as a nation. One of my favorite parts was the explanation and reason for the song, "Yankee Doodle", not your typical kiddie sing-along-song after all. Who could have guessed it was a way for the British to mock the Americans during the war?
    I also realized that I have visited so many of these sights mentioned throughout the book from  Independence Hall, to Monticello, to the hallowed halls of the Old North Church in Boston. I am thinking I would have had a greater appreciation of visiting these places, if I had been more knowledgeable of their importance to our country's independence.

5 comments:

  1. Well said Jenn! I was never interested in history during my school years (actually flunked a college history class) because I thought it was boring...to say the least! I too, enjoyed all the extra information on each page including the maps, diagrams, quotes, and poems! I found as I got older that I started to become interested in history (finally) and have visited many historical places and sites. Yes, had I been more knowledgeable of their importance, I would probably have had a greater appreciation as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found the Yankee Doodle description page pretty interesting also. I didn't know the meaning behind the song or that it had so many verses! You're right in saying that this book tries to include a little something for various learning styles and parts can be very entertaining. I have never had the opportunity to visit the historical sites as you have, but I think it would be a great experience! Maybe someday...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, this book does seem to have something for everyone. I appreciate how Hakim went beyond the Founding Fathers and included people who are not so well-known. For example, I had never heard of James Forten until I read about him in this text. And I like how she did not 'forget the ladies.' l

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too often students see historial figures as sterile, two-dimensional characters. A book like Hakim's breaks down those iconic depictions without being sensational. She humanizes the players and brings the culture of the time to life. Students today are even more resistant to blocks of gray text than we were. As some of you noted, history was not a favorite subject.

    ReplyDelete